Robins & Morton Wins ABC Eagle Award for CMC-Lincoln Medical Center
Robins & Morton is the recipient of the 2011 National Excellence in Construction Award in Healthcare hosted by the Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) for their management of the Carolinas Medical Center-Lincoln new hospital facility. The Excellence in Construction Awards program honors the nation’s most innovative contractors, highest quality construction projects and most successful safety cultures.
The $85-million CMC-Lincoln replacement facility utilized a modified Integrated Project Delivery technique, in which all key team players—owner, designers and building team—contributed their expertise from the beginning of schematic design. This innovative approach fostered seamless project management, innovative design elements and significant cost savings attributing to the project award.
“We achieved a lot of important ‘firsts’ during the construction of this campus,” said Brad Lucas, Senior Project Manager at CMC-Lincoln. “We worked closely with our partners to utilize new building processes and new design approaches in the construction of this campus. Due to the successes that we observed, we are now applying these same procedures to other similar projects throughout the System.”
“We also enjoyed the opportunity to work together so closely with business partners and community leaders in Lincoln County. We had a lot of support, experienced great teamwork, and benefited in many ways from the relationships established in Lincoln County.”
Specifically, the new 180,000-square-foot hospital includes:
- A birth center with a special care nursery, four Level II nursery beds and 10 private LDRP (labor, delivery, recovery, post-partum) rooms;
- Seventy-seven medical surgical patient rooms equipped with flat-panel televisions, wireless Internet access and extended-stay furnishings for the comfort of family members;
- Ten critical care unit beds;
- Twenty-four Emergency Department examination rooms and two Emergency Department trauma rooms;
- Four operating rooms;
- A helipad for helicopter transports by MedCenter Air, the regional flight service for CHS;
- On-site laboratory, radiology, imaging, pharmacy and physical therapy services; and
- A full-service cafeteria featuring healthy menu options and outdoor seating.
The hospital also anchors a 64-acre medical campus that includes a 40,000-square-foot medical office building housing surgical, orthopedics, cardiology, urology and OB/GYN practices, as well as administrative offices and classrooms.